Saturday, June 25, 2005

Smoking!

There has been a lot in the news recently about the banning of smoking in public places. I am all for it. I must admit that I have never smoked and this is a very common view among non-smokers who will not be affected by the ban, but I have spent a lot of time around people who have/do especially strangers in public places. What really annoys me is when they light up in a restaurant while you are trying to eat - yes this annoys even some of the people who smoke - so ok ban it there. Working in pubs I have also had second hand smoke blown at my face, do people really need a ciggy to have a good night? Some people I know only smoke when they go out or have a drink. Why?!
Where there are large gatherings of people (e.g. workplaces/pubs/clubs/restaurants) smoking should definitely be banned. If smokers want to ruin their lungs, let them, they have enough warnings, but do they listen? No! Please don't let us non-smokers, who do not choose to intentionally damage our bodies smoke with you. What about bus stops then? This is a disputed matter, but it is still inconsiderate to light up in the small area of a bus stop. Smoking should be confined to specific areas or at home.in the car, people should be more considerate of others.
You may ask, so should we ban drinking because that causes a bad effect on your body? However, in moderation, alcohol does not cause the serious effects smoking does to our bodies. Also it does not affect the health of those around you, unlike secondary smoke!
Personally I cannot wait for laws to be passed banning smoking, and especially hope it includes at bus stops.
However, I would like to know the opinion of those who smoke, whether for or against a ban (as I know there are some "considerate" smokers out there). The best argument I have heard so far for smoking at bus stops is: "If we didn't light up at bus stops, no buses would turn up. This It is a well known fact that as soon as you light up, a bus turns up!" Well in reply, all I have to say is I haven't had any problems as a non-smoker waiting at the bus stop with other people who do not light up.
Non-smokers would be just as affected by the ban, it would improve their lives!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its funny you can have ASBOs for causing a nuisance, noise pollution etc, yet you can't stop ignorant people smoking whilst you try and eat. Even more stupid is that you can smoke at 16 but not drink until 18 - the law has no common sense.