Sunday, September 03, 2006

Does Law Enforcement Work?

Okay, I am in the situation where my finance's car has had its windscreen smashed by a thrown golf ball, we called the police 3 1/2 hours ago when the culprits and witnesses were still in the area, they said they would come round and they still have not arrived.

On a separate occasion my own car was vandalised in a local car park and I was left on my own at night and in the rain trying to contact someone for help as I could not drive the car due to the damage. (Not to mention the local yobs and drunks hanging around). The police were called and I was given a crime number - nothing else was done, no-one even came to see my car. Who has to pay? Me, twice in fact. Firstly the cost/excesses (and damage to my no-claims) of repairing the damage and secondly with my taxes paying for a police service, which on two occasions has not benefited me.

This leads me to question whether the law is actually enforced or whether only murder/rape crimes are considered. Yes I can understand that it may not be a priority case but criminal damage is a crime and to me it doesn't seem like it is being enforced. What is the point of having laws that are not being enforced?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand exactly what you are saying.

However, I tend to think that many laws are there as a deterrant rather than to be enforced. The reasoning behind this being that if an act is prohibited then people are less likely to commit it.

However, this does not always work and some people don't actually care if they break the law as long as they don't get caught. The problem then however is that if they don't get caught, they will keep doing it. Take the example of shoplifters, how many who have been caught can say that it is the first time theyhave done it?

My opinon is that if a law exists, it should always be enforced rather appear purely to attempt to act as a deterrent.